Equality and diversity
We are committed to building and delivering services that are more equal, where every individual has the opportunity to achieve their potential and where people treat each other with dignity and respect.
We are also committed to continuous engagement activities with interest groups to help the Trust identify and remove barriers for different "protected groups’". This commitment is contained in our equality strategy entitled the Equality Delivery System.
The EDS is the new NHS Equality and Diversity performance framework aimed at delivering better outcomes for patients, communities and better working environments for staff, which are personal, fair and diverse. For more information visit NHS England.
The Equality Act 2010
Public bodies have a statutory duty under the Equality Act 2010 commonly known as the Public Sector Equality Duty. The duty requires public authorities to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and those who do not share it.
- The Act commonly refers to "protected groups" - these are the areas where the law is prescriptive about who should be protected. As an organisation, personalisation is at the heart of everything we do. We strive to provide beyond the minimum requirements of the public duty.
List of protected groups
- Gender Reassignment
- Marriage and Civil Partnership
- Pregnancy and Maternity
- Religion and Beliefs
- Sexual Orientation
Engaging Communities using the Equality Delivery System (EDS)
For EDS tools and more information - NHS England.
Black and Minority Ethnic Network
Our trust wide Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Network group looks at our performance in relation to race equality.
The group acts as a staff consultancy group for the Trust, but also has the ability to look at other areas of race equality that may not be covered by the Diversity work plan. Members meet throughout the year. Any employee can attend.
Issues that are covered by the group include:
• Equality Impact Assessments
• Ethnicity data collection on employment
• Ethnicity date related to complaints and disciplinary action
• Support and signposting for BME staff and service users.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Staff Network
The ‘Freedom’ Network was established in 2010 with the aim to enable, empower and support Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Transgender staff and their allies working for the Trust.
Membership is open to any Trust. Freedom meets around four times a year, usually in different venues across the wide geographic area of the Trust, in order to be as accessible as possible to members.
The Network values and respects the privacy of its members. All members choose if, and how much, of their personal information is disclosed both within and outside of the Network, and a confidentiality policy is in place.
Interested? Questions? Need to talk? Email us.
We commit to honour the Armed Forces Covenant and support the Armed Forces Community. We recognise the value serving personnel both regular and reservists, veterans and military families contribute to our business and our country.
We Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust will endeavour in our business dealings to uphold the key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant, which are:
- no member of the Armed Forces Community should face disadvantage in the provision of public and commercial services compared to any other citizen
- in some circumstances special treatment may be appropriate especially for the injured or bereaved.
You can read the full Armed Forces Covenant here
Our workforce data is broken down by headcount, full-time equivalent and ethnicity. There is also data in regard to local population, joiners and leavers.
- Workforce Race Equality Standard 2016-17
- Annual Workforce Equality and Diversity Report 2016-17
- Annual Workforce Equality Report 2015-16
- Workforce Race Equality Standard Report March 2016
- Workforce Race Equality Standard Report 2015 -16
- Workforce Race Equality Standard Indicators Report 2015
- Workforce Equality Report, 2011-15
- Ensuring Quality, Valuing Difference Conference Report, 2013
- Equality Delivery System Annual Report 2013
- Equality and Diversity Objectives 2014-17
- Equality and Diversity Annual Report 2012-13
- Equality and Diversity Annual Report 2011-12
- Equality and Diversity Annual Report 2010-11
- Equality and Diversity Annual Report 2009-10
- Rethink report: The Abandoned illness
- Disability in Kent - November 2013
Staff Equalities Networks
If you want to find out more about the staff equalities networks or create your own networks please see the documents and links below.
If you would like more information then please email the Equalities team.