Job Taster Programme
Our Job Taster Programme aims to help service users gain real work experience prior to seeking employment.
What is a Job Taster?
The programme creates Job Tasters for service users, which can last up to 12 weeks. These will be in a variety of teams and services throughout the Trust and allows you to gain real experience within a work environment.
How does it work?
If you are a service user and want to take up this opportunity, first discuss with your Care Co-ordinator, who will then refer you to the Vocational Specialist where appropriate.
If you meet the criteria, the Vocational Specialist will then refer you to the Job Taster Co-ordinator, who will meet with you to discuss your individual requirements. Your preference will be matched, where possible, to opportunities available.
At the end of the 12 weeks, placement feedback, a reference point and up to date experience to put on your CV will be provided.
There are a range of benefits for both the service user and employer.
- Service users will have the opportunity to ‘have a go’ in a real work situation and receiving real feedback from the placement.
- New skills will be learnt and existing skills refreshed.
- Confidence, social skills and well being will be increased.
- Provides structure to the day and enables reinforcement of behaviour expected within a work place.
- Service users can access staff training.
- Insight will be gained into any work place adjustments that might be needed when entering paid employment.
- Teams and staff will be more aware of their own work practices.
- Teams and service managers who identify placements will be better equipped to address their own mental health needs within the work place.
- Staff involved with the placement will experience for themselves the contribution that service users can bring to the workplace.
For more information
If you would like more information, please call Jeanette Freeman, Specialist Practitioner and Vocational Rehabilitation Lead, on 01622 766900 or email.
Want to hear more?
Read how the job taster programme helped service user Joe Blackburn into work.
"The job taster programme has allowed me to distance myself from the service as a ‘client’ and realise that I am capable of being who I want to be. I have been treated as a colleague and not as a patient by the staff. I feel that I have been able to ‘spread my wings’ and find my feet in a work setting. I have been able to feel a part of a team and that’s helped my confidence incredibly. I have been to a university open day to look at Occupational Therapy and speech and language therapy, something that I would never have had the confidence to do previously. I feel that once I started the job taster placement, I didn’t require the emotional support as I previously may have thought and that I have been able to manage fine"