Rosewood Mother and Baby Unit (MBU) sets date to open for referrals
Date: 02 August 2018
We are #KMPTproud that our eight bed MBU in Dartford will open for referrals on 8 August 2018 as a result of a lot of hard work and a passion for supporting mums with acute perinatal mental health issues. The service predominantly supports mothers from across Kent, Surrey and Sussex although will accept admissions from other areas of the country if bed availability is limited.
“We believe in enabling and empowering mothers in all stages of their perinatal journey in collaboration with their families”
Our MBU offers assessment and treatment of the mother’s mental illness whilst ensuring the developing relationship with their baby. It’s vital that referrals are made appropriately so please be aware of the referral process and criteria:
- Women who are experiencing significant mental health difficulties during the last trimester of their pregnancy (32 weeks +) or if they have a baby less than 12 months of age.
- Women who present with an immediate physical risk to their baby or others cannot be accepted and may need to initially be admitted to an adult acute ward until the risk reduces.
- Emergency admissions are accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Admissions include both informal patients and those detained under the Mental Health Act. The service will also accept planned admissions for less urgent but complex cases that cannot be managed in the community.
- Assessment for admission will be through the local Perinatal Community Mental Health Teams (or general adult Community Mental Health Team if a specialist service is not available)
- Rosewood MBU is on WebBeds a website for NHS professionals to find a Mother and Baby Unit bed anywhere in England. https://nhswebbeds.co.uk/login
- Referrals will be supported by the completion of the national perinatal mental health service inpatient referral form
- Out of hours referrals for inpatient admission will be received by the local Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team or Liaison Psychiatry Service following a medical psychiatric assessment.
- To support clinical decision-making contact can be made with the MBU in order to discuss any potential referral.
For more information on referrals and the MBU contact our MBU Matron, Angela Shorter via firstname.lastname@example.org