Your right to complain

This leaflet will help you make a complaint, comment, suggestion etc or to pay us a compliment about our services. If you have anything to say, good or bad, please tell us.

Publication date:
01 November 2020
Date range:
November 2020 - ongoing

Making a complaint

Help shape future healthcare

We would love to hear from you if you have something positive to say about our services or a particular staff member or team.

Please speak to staff, contact us or log your compliment on our website

Understanding and responding to patient experience, arising from both complaints and compliments, can help improve services. By learning from you, we will be able to identify what we need to address and also shape future healthcare to meet people’s needs.

You will be treated with courtesy and respect at all times. Making a complaint will not harm or prejudice the care you,
or your relative, are given. If you have a problem or concern about trust services, then often the quickest way to resolve it is to speak to local staff, the manager or the PALS team.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and Complaints

If you have a concern about your care and treatment but feel unable to speak to the staff providing that care, or if you just want some information about local health services, you can contact PALS confidentially by calling the numbers listed in the useful contacts section.

When to complain

Make your complaint as soon as possible, while your memories are still fresh. Usually, the NHS will only investigate complaints made within 12 months of the event you are complaining about, or within 12 months of finding out there was something to complain about.

However, this time limit may be waived if there are good reasons why you could not complain earlier and an effective investigation can be undertaken.

Making a complaint - what will happen next?

Step 1

You can put your complaint in writing to the appropriate complaints office, or to the trust complaints freepost address, details of which are on the back of this leaflet. If you find this difficult then please call one of our offices and we may be
able to help, for instance by recording your complaint and sending it to you to confirm.

Step 2

The trust will aim to acknowledge your complaint within three working days and to respond within 25 working days or to
a time frame agreed with you. Complaints about services provided by KMPT for both younger and older adult mental health services will be investigated through the trust. Complaints relating to social care only should be referred directly to the relevant customer care office at Kent County Council or Medway Council.

Step 3

It is hoped that the trust’s response will resolve your complaint but, if that is not the case, please contact us and we will
consider any outstanding concerns that you might have.

Step 4

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review your complaint if it is about health services or the Local Government Ombudsman if the complaint
is about social care.

Who can help you to complain about your health service?

Kent Advocacy is also available to support you and represent your views, thoughts and feelings when making a complaint
about the NHS. They can also provide support in other languages and provide support with a sign language interpreter.
Who can make a complaint?

  • A patient
  • Someone acting on behalf of the patient with their written consent
  • A person affected or likely to be affected by the actions of the trust.
  • What to include when lodging a complaint
  • Your name, address and telephone number
  • A summary of what happened, with dates if possible
  • A list of questions to which you would like a response to
  • What you want to happen as a result of your complaint
  • Permission for us to share your complaint with any other agency involved in your complaint and if relevant.